If you’re lucky enough to be in Brussels during winter, you’ve got to get into the Christmas spirit at the city’s Winter Wonders markets. While the heart of the Christmas markets in Brussels is at the festive Big Wheel at Place Sainte-Catherine, there’s several markets spread across the city.
Here’s our guide to hitting up the Christmas Markets in Brussels in 2019.
1. What are this year’s dates for Winter Wonders in Brussels?
You can enjoy the markets from 30th November – 7th January 2020.
2. Where’s the main Christmas Market spots?
You’ll find the markets at the Grand-Place in Brussels and around the Bourse, the Place de la Monnaie, the Place Sainte-Catherine and the Marché aux Poissons.
3. How many stalls are there?
Across the city, there’s 250 wooden chalets with food, drinks and local crafts for sale.
4. What can I expect to see at the Christmas markets in Brussels?
There’s a great mix of crafts and things to see and do for all ages. Marvel at the rides, the Winter Wonders giant Ferris wheel and the magical Christmas market vibes. There’s ice rinks, amusement rides and cosy cabins.
5. What are the best things to eat?
There’s a huge variety of food options, including Raclette – a huge wheel of cheese that’s melted and scraped onto slices of freshly baked bread – salmon smoked over open fires, mulled wine and deliciously boozy hot chocolate.
6. What can I buy at the markets?
Everything! Handcrafted Chrismas tree ornaments, luxury wool scarves, cosy knitwear, wooden toys and handblown glass, to name but a few. You can also stock up on cute gifts such as swirling snow-globes or scented candles.
7. Any insider tips?
- Arrive hungry, as there’s incredible bites to eat
- If buying a drink, don’t forget to return your glass to get some money back from the deposit!
- Do your shopping in the afternoon, drop your bags back at the hotel and come back in the evening for food and drink