If you’re spending some time in the state, you will want to know these Florida slang words to help you speak like a local. From great road trips to tasty burgers, as well as enjoyable cities like Miami, this is a state you will want to get to know a whole lot better.
Take note of these essential Florida phrases and you’ll fit right in – or at the very least, not be confused if somebody says one of these sayings! Want to learn just Miami slang? See Miami phrases here.
Florida Slang Words
1. No see ums = Those annoying bugs that people have a hard time seeing!
“Ugh, I’m getting bitten alive by those no see ‘ums tonight!”
2. Jit = Usually a kid, but it can be anyone younger than you
Kids in the class below you? Jits. Your neighbours child? Jit.
3. We’re parked in Goofy = Meaning you have parked a very long distance from your destination
“We’re still about 10 minutes away, we had to park in Goofy!”
4. Sleep = To be missing out on something
“You are ‘sleepin’ – that club is hot!”
5. Wicked Up = Similar to “wasted”. Complete lack of the ability to form a sentence, or walk without assistance.
“Man you were wicked up last night! You okay?”
6. Buss/bussin = Good food, tasty food, DELICIOUS food
“That new tapas restaurant is bussin’!”
7. Bih = Person, place or thing
“What’s up what that bih?”
Spending time in the state? Check out The 25 Best Places For Chicken Wings In Florida.