If you’re spending some time in the state, you will want to know these SoCal slang words to help you speak like a local. From great road trips to tasty burgers, as well as enjoyable cities like San Diego, this is a state you will want to get to know a whole lot better.
Take note of these essential SoCal phrases and you’ll fit right in – or at the very least, not be confused if somebody says one of these sayings!
SoCal Slang Words
1. Clutch = Exactly what you need, when you need it. Essential or performing well under pressure
“Thanks for the ride. Way to come in clutch when my car broke down.”
2. May Gray = During the spring season in SoCal the skies often look grey, aka May Gray
“The sky is totally May Grey this week.”
3. Stoked = Be especially excited for something
“Man, I’m so stoked for the party this weekend!”
4. The ‘Bu = Malibu
“Hey dude, we’re heading to the ‘Bu on Sunday, wanna come with?”
5. Kook = Refers to someone who doesn’t know what they’re doing or looks like a fool.
“You should have seen him trying to surf, he was a total kook!”
6. SigAlert= Traffic incident that causes the temporary shutdown of a freeway lane
“Sorry I’m late, there was a SigAlert on the 405.”
7. Send it = To do something with confidence, and without overthinking it.
“Send it bro!”
Spending time in the state? Check out California slang words here.