If you’re spending some time in the state, you will want to know these Delaware slang words to help you speak like a local. From great road trips to tasty burgers, as well as enjoyable cities like Wilmington, this is a state you will want to get to know a whole lot better.
Take note of these essential Delaware phrases and you’ll fit right in – or at the very least, not be confused if somebody says one of these sayings!
Delaware Slang Words
1. Ignert = When someone is mean or rude to you, or ignorant
“That guy in my English class is just sooo ignert.”
2. Baggin’ up = Cracking up or laughing
“Man I was baggin’ up at the movie on Friday night!”
3. Delunaware = Adjective describing one who is unaware of the existence of Delaware
Oh, you haven’t heard of all these Delaware slang words? What a total Delunaware!
4. Thrashers = The best vinegar doused French fries you will ever eat in your life!
Thrashers Fries is one of the most iconic places to dine at when visiting Delaware beaches. Fact.
5. Kitchen Sink = An enormous twenty-scoop ice cream challenge at Charcoal Pit
Anyone who completes the kitchen sink challenge is a true Delaware legend.
6. Scrapple = Pork goodness enjoyed in loaf form for breakfast
This traditionally Amish dish is the perfect crispy fried pork slice to pair with eggs.
7. Toad choker / frog strangler = A heavy downpour or a bad storm
“Woah, last night was a real toad choker outside, right?”
Spending time in the state? Check out The 7 Best Spots For Chicken Wings In Delaware.