The Scottish accent was recently voted one of the top 50 in the world, coming in at third place. So, we wanted to delve a little deeper and see what it is that makes the Scottish accent just so sexy?
As with most countries that have distinctive accents, there are actually huge variations across the country. Hollywood might have you thinking that everybody sounds like Mel Gibson in Braveheart but the truth is a little more nuanced than that.
What does a Scottish accent sound like?
What are some common sayings in Scottish?
While most people who understand English will easily understand Scottish people speaking slowly, things change when slang is added in. Here is a list of some key slang words you will need if you are traveling to Scotland.
- Auld = Old
- Am pure done in = I’m tired
- Out yer face = Very drunk
- Bonnie = Beautiful
- Crabbit = Grumpy
- Dinnae = Don’t
- Hoose = House
- Oot = Out
- Ah Wisna = I was not
You can see a full list of Scottish sayings here.
What makes the Scottish accent so sexy?
There are many factors at play when it comes to defining why this is a sexy accent, but the main ones are…
- A melodic voice that can often sound like singing
- Massive exposure in Hollywood movies and TV shows of attractive Scottish characters
- Culture that has spread across the world including their whisky, music and written word
- Celebrities like Gerard Butler and Calvin Harris exposing more people to the accent