If ever there was something that will inspire you to travel the world, it’s these amazing Anthony Bourdain quotes.
One year ago, the legendary chef was found dead from an apparent suicide at the age of 61. A tragic event that his friends and fellow food lovers mourned the world over.
Bourdain is best known for his revealing writings on New York restaurant life, with his bestselling book “Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly” a must-read for any chef.
From his great wit with words to his famous travel TV shows, Bourdain’s take on food and travel will never be forgotten.
“The idea was to create, on his birthday, an event that anyone can contribute to, something that is low-production,” his friend and fellow chef Eric Ripert told the Washington Post. “We will make sure that Anthony is being remembered on his birthday, and not when he left. We will keep this tradition year after year.”
So, what better day to share some of Bourdain’s most inspirational words on travel? These following Anthony Bourdain quotes will urge you to get out, explore the world and – most of all – live.
1.” Travel changes you. As you move through this life and this world you change things slightly, you leave marks behind, however small. And in return, life — and travel — leaves marks on you. “
2. “The journey is part of the experience – an expression of the seriousness of one’s intent. One doesn’t take the A train to Mecca.”
3. “If you’re twenty-two, physically fit, hungry to learn and be better, I urge you to travel — as far and as widely as possible. Sleep on floors if you have to. Find out how other people live and eat and cook. Learn from them — wherever you go.”
4. “Travel is about the gorgeous feeling of teetering in the unknown.”
5. “If I’m an advocate for anything, it’s to move. As far as you can, as much as you can. Across the ocean, or simply across the river. The extent to which you can walk in someone else’s shoes or at least eat their food, it’s a plus for everybody. Open your mind, get up off the couch, move.”
6. “I’m a big believer in winging it. I’m a big believer that you’re never going to find perfect city travel experience or the perfect meal without a constant willingness to experience a bad one.”
7. “It seems that the more places I see and experience, the bigger I realise the world to be. The more I become aware of, the more I realise how relatively little I know of it, how many places I still have to go, the more there is to learn.”